Wow. The whole town is shut down. In fact, the whole nation is shut down. Actually, about almost the whole world is shut down. My luck, the church is open this week.
I called the nurse. The town is in quarantine. So she told me to stay in especially since I have a cough. She thought I had a touch of the virus. It’s called Yee Yi this time. Maybe because they suspect the virus came out of China again. This one is supposed to be worse than the one before the Rapture.
Of course, everyone is hoarding toilet paper and bread. I may never be able to eat a sandwich again.
I think China is trying to soften up our nation before Armageddon1 I think the first pandemic they sent our way was just a test to see how much they could hurt the U.S. and all of the rest of the world, too.
It worked. It shut down the entire nation. They did it all without missiles, troops, and a navy. They just infected their own people and sent them to Spain and Italy since they couldn’t get into the U.S. directly. If they could soften the U.S., they thought they could take over the world. It almost worked. Now they’re trying again.
I have to preach to the church in Smyrna next. I suspect it will be easier to minister to them. Even though they lost almost everyone to the Rapture, many of the remaining trusted the Lord, I’ve heard. And even the unsaved in that church were pretty nice people or the others would kick them out of the church!
I think I’ll preach about the promises in Scripture that can get believers through hard times. There were several blog entries on that topic in that commentary for reading through the Bible in a year that I’ve been reading.2
I would have thought that people would have learned to look to God in the midst of a pandemic. But nooooooo . . . . ! They continued having parties and weddings, though most people these days don’t even get married.3 They started living together. Why didn’t they need to be blessed by God? They don’t really believe in Him.
Fortunately, an old friend of mine delivered some meat, toilet paper, and bananas since I’m locked in my study. Bananas, an entire large bunch of them. Was that a metaphor for me?
I just can’t believe how everyone can ignore God when this is going on. People are lined up to be tested for the virus. Cable TV talk endlessly about what going on. The amazing thing is so many of them just shake their fists at God. They know He exists and instead of bowing down to Him they get angry!4
No one mentions God on TV or even in podcasts hardly.5 There was one exception. One of my favorite commentators took the name of God in the middle of one of his rants. At least he apologized. But that was the only mention of God. They all seem to put their trust in scientists and pharmaceuticals. How did that work out the first time something like this happened? Thousands in this country and millions around the world died.
On TV they say there is a shortage of ventilators. I can’t imagine dying because of not breathing and being short of breath. Years ago, there was an older man, probably the same age that I am now, who had emphysema. He was in such pain that he tried several times to kill himself by putting his head in his oven to gas himself. True story. I can’t imagine going that way. I should have trusted Christ so I’d have gone up in the Rapture!
But a ventilator is a good metaphor for being revived by Christ. Humanity is smothering in sin. Christ is the ventilator. Does anyone on earth understand that? Probably not. But my prayer is that those who have been left behind will understand their need for Christ.
I sure miss my wife’s pot roast. She always said there were people out there worse off than us. It sure looks like that on TV. People are scared everywhere. But no mention of God. We’ll see what kind of crowd we get on Sunday at Smyrna.
For now I’ll have to find a recipe book and figure out how to cook the chicken that my friend brought over.
(To Be Continued . . .)
- Rev. 16:12-16 The sixth [angel] poured out his bowl on the great river, the Euphrates; and its water was dried up, so that the way would be prepared for the kings from the east. 13 And I saw [coming] out of the mouth of the dragon and out of the mouth of the beast and out of the mouth of the false prophet, three unclean spirits like frogs; 14 for they are spirits of demons, performing signs, which go out to the kings of the whole world, to gather them together for the war of the great day of God, the Almighty. 15 (“Behold, I am coming like a thief. Blessed is the one who stays awake and keeps his clothes, so that he will not walk about naked and men will not see his shame.”) 16 And they gathered them together to the place which in Hebrew is called Har-Magedon.
- Check out SpiritualRants.com for the blog and commentary on the One Year Bible that Verb read. And example is in the devotional, “Choose Life,” for April 23, http://jerryrothauser.com/spiritual-rants-april-23-thumbs-down-readings-to-read-through-the-bible-in-a-year-judges-11-29-luke-2129-2213-psalm-901-9116-proverbs-1324-25/
- Luke 17:26 “And just as it happened in the days of Noah, so it will be also in the days of the Son of Man: 27 they were eating, they were drinking, they were marrying, they were being given in marriage, until the day that Noah entered the ark, and the flood came and destroyed them all.
- Rev. 9: 21, “and they did not repent of their murders nor of their sorceries nor of their immorality nor of their thefts.”
- Of course, the Spiritual Rants podcasts will still be available in the Tribulation times, http://spiritualrants.libsyn.com/