Psalm 87:1-7 A Song Of Jerusalem By The Sons Of Korah
Psalm 87:1-7 An Eye On Zion
Psalm 87 is another song for and about Jerusalem, the city of the King. It was either written for or by the sons of Korah. My guess is that they wrote it.
Here is what they say about Jerusalem:
- Mount Zion is the highest spot in Jerusalem (v. 1)
- Yahweh loved it more than any other city (v. 2)
- People praise the city (v. 3)
- Rahab is Egypt, not the lady of the evening in Genesis (v. 4, cf. Isa. 51:9; Ps. 89:10),
- The nations in the region, Rahab, aka Egypt; Babylon; Philistia, aka Phoenicia and her capital Tyre; and Ethiopia, aka southern Egypt, Sudan, and northern Ethiopia, will all convert and worship Yahweh in that time (v. 4)
- Many famous people will be born in Jerusalem (v. 4-5a, 6b) but the most famous inhabitant, the Messiah Himself, will protect and sustain the city (v. 5b)
- Rahab (v. 4a) literally means “tumult” and Babylon (v. 4a) means “confusion” but all tumult and confusion will end when Christ is established as King in the Millennium (v. 6)
- There will be a lot of music celebrating the Lord’s reign.
Are you looking forward to Jesus Christ reigning in Jerusalem? It may be only seven years away, right after the Seven Year Tribulation, if the Rapture were to occur today.
Proverbs 13:11 Appreciating Wealth
If you cheat or steal to obtain riches, you really won’t appreciate them (v. 11a). You’ll waste them away.
If you work for what you have and save to obtain it, you’ll appreciate it and respect it much more (v. 11b).